Skip to content

When a person becomes injured in the state of Maryland at the fault of another person, it is important that they speak with an attorney as soon as possible. What a lot of people don’t realize is that there are time limits that you must take into consideration when it comes to filing a lawsuit.  These time limits are known as statutes of limitations. If a person does not file their lawsuit within the designated statute of limitations, they will not be able to bring a lawsuit against the negligent party and may ultimately lose out on a large amount of compensation that can assist them in paying medical bills associated with the injuries.

In Maryland, the general statute of limitations for a regular personal injury case is 3 years. This goes for car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, slip and falls on private property, and more. When the injury was obtained due to the negligence of a government entity, they must also file a Notice of Claim within sixth months to a year from the date of the accident, but it is important to speak with your attorney regarding these deadlines as they may vary. If the injury took place because of a defective product, they will also have three years to file. Wrongful death lawsuits also have a three-year statute of limitation.

It is important that you start collecting evidence to prove your claim as soon as possible after being injured, even if you are not sure if you will actually take legal action. However, it is better to act quickly and be prepared, especially since you must abide by the statute of limitations. If you have been injured in an accident due to the negligence of another party, do not hesitate to contact an attorney today.

The Law Offices of Debra A. Saltz has decades of experience representing clients in Howard County, Maryland who have been charged with a crime. If you are facing criminal charges, let our firm explore all possible defenses and fight to protect your future. We also represent individuals who have been injured by the negligence of another party. Contact the Law Offices of Debra A. Saltz today to discuss your case.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

What is Public Intoxication in Maryland?

Public intoxication charges are taken very seriously in the state of Maryland. If you're currently facing them, you must read…

Read More
What Are My Legal Options After a Maryland Garbage Truck Accident?

Garbage truck drivers provide Marylanders with an essential service, frequently in the early hours of the morning. They spend most…

Read More
Can You Have Your Record Expunged in Maryland?

Few experiences in life are as debilitating as sustaining a conviction for a crime, because having a criminal record can…

Read More

We Can Help

Contact Us for Your Initial Case Evaluation