When a sex crime is committed in the state of Maryland, these offenders can face consequences that can significantly impact the rest of their life. It is because of this that individuals who are charged with a sex crime should retain the services of an experienced Maryland criminal defense attorney for assistance protecting their future.
What are the Penalties of Sex Crimes?
A sex crime is committed when a sexual act occurs without the consent of all parties involved. When determining the consequences of these actions, different factors come into play. This can include the nature of the crime. The following are examples of Felony crimes and the penalties they carry:
- Rape in the first degree can result in life in prison
- Subsequent rape in the first degree can result in life in prison without parole
- Rape in the first degree in combination with kidnapping a child under the age of 16 can result in life in prison without parole
- Rape in the first degree as an adult with a victim under the age of 13 can result in life in prison without parole or a minimum of 25 years
- A sexual offense in the first-degree can result in life in prison
- A subsequent sexual offense in the first-degree can result in life in prison without parole
- Attempted rape in the first degree can result in life in prison
- Rape in the second degree can result in 20 years in prison
- Sexual offense in the second degree can result in 20 years in prison
- Rape in the second-degree of a victim under the age of 13 can result in life in prison or a minimum of 15 years
- Child abuse of a sexual nature under certain conditions can result in 25 years in prison
What is the Maryland Sex Offender Registry?
Individuals who are convicted of sex crimes in Maryland are required to have their name on the Maryland Sex Offender Registry for a certain number of years. This is broken into three tiers:
- Tier I: Crimes can include sex offenses in the fourth degree, possession of child pornography, sex trafficking by force, coercion, sexual internet crimes, and visual surveillance for sexual interest. This can result in 15 years on the registry.
- Tier II: Crimes can include distribution of child pornography, hiring a minor for prostitution, abduction of a minor for prostitution, operating a prostitution house, human trafficking, sexual solicitation of a minor, and more. This can result in 25 years on the registry.
- Tier III: Crimes can include rape, kidnapping, attempted rape, sexual assault, incest, the sale of a minor, and more. This can result in life on the registry.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of Debra A. Saltz has decades of experience representing clients in Howard County and Anne Arundel County, Maryland who have been charged with a crime. If you are facing criminal charges, let our firm explore all possible defenses and fight to protect your future. Contact the Law Offices of Debra A. Saltz today to discuss your case.