Trucks are the largest vehicles on the road, making them, often, the most dangerous as well. This is because, due to their immense size and weight, they are generally harder to navigate than a regular passenger vehicle. Truck drivers are held to a certain standard to drive safely to not only protect themselves but others on the road as well. However, accidents still happen and people can become injured as a result. These individuals can pursue legal action to recover compensation with the assistance of a Maryland personal injury attorney.
What are the Causes of Truck Accidents?
There are a variety of ways that a truck accident can happen in the state of Maryland. This can include the following:
- Poor judgment: When drivers engage in dangerous driving on the road, it can cause a serious accident. This can include actions such as speeding, reckless driving, improper lane changes, making dangerous turns, following others too closely, and more.
- Distracted driving: Drivers who do not pay attention to the road at all times may not be able to bring the vehicle to a stop or navigate it in time to prevent an accident.
- Impaired driving: Non-performance errors is the third leading cause of truck accidents. This may occur if a driver operates a vehicle under the influence, while drowsy, or while suffering from a medical condition while driving.
- Vehicle malfunction: This may be if a truck has a defective part, or a truck part malfunctions while driving.
- Poor conditions: Inclement weather conditions or unmaintained roads can cause dangerous accidents.
Pursuing Legal Action
When a person becomes injured in a truck accident and wants to pursue legal action against the negligent party, one can file a personal injury claim. This requires the injured party to prove negligence with evidence that shows the behavior of the party in question directly caused the accident and their injuries. Evidence that can be helpful for a claim can consist of medical records, a police report from the accident, pictures or video of the scene, witness testimonies, and more. If the injured party successfully proves negligence, he or she may recover compensation.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of Debra A. Saltz has decades of experience representing clients in Howard County and Anne Arundel County, Maryland who have been seriously injured as a result of someone else’s negligence. Let our firm explore all possible methods of recovering the compensation to which you are entitled. Contact the Law Offices of Debra A. Saltz today to discuss your case.