Skip to content

While New Year’s Eve car accidents are caused by a wide variety of factors, such as driving while fatigued after a long night out, texting while driving, and more, accidents caused by drunk driving are particularly common on New Year’s Eve. If you were injured in an accident caused by a drunk driver, you will most likely have a valid personal injury claim. Please continue reading and speak with our Maryland personal injury attorney to learn more about New Year’s Eve car accidents and how our firm can assist you if you have been hurt in one.

What should I do if I am injured in a car accident with a drunk driver?

If you are injured in a car accident that was caused by a drunk driver, you should take the following steps to document the incident and receive the medical care you need:

  1. Call the police. They will document the incident, send an ambulance to the scene of the accident, and will most likely administer a breathalyzer test to determine whether the driver was truly operating his or her vehicle while under the influence of alcohol. This determination may play a critical role in winning your claim.
  2. Generally, after an accident, you should ask the other driver for his or her insurance information. However, if the other driver appears to be severely intoxicated or hostile, you should remain in your car until the authorities arrive.
  3. Ask anyone who saw your accident for their name, phone number, and email address.
  4. Take pictures of any damage to your vehicle, the other driver’s vehicle, and any property involved in the accident.
  5. Seek immediate medical treatment.
  6. Retain the services of a knowledgeable Maryland personal injury attorney who can work to obtain all additional evidence needed to satisfy the burden of proof.

Does Maryland have a dram shop law?

Many states throughout the country have dram shop laws in place that allow those who have been injured due to someone else’s intoxication to sue establishments for serving those individuals alcohol under certain circumstances. However, in Maryland, this is not the case, which is why it is so critical that you hire a knowledgeable attorney who can work to pursue financial compensation from the negligent individual that will cover the full cost of your injuries. Keep in mind that you must file your personal injury claim within the state’s statute of limitations, which is three years. Failing to do so will most likely result in you losing your right to sue. We are ready to get started today.

Contact our experienced Maryland firm

The Law Offices of Debra A. Saltz has decades of experience representing clients in Anne Arundel County and Howard County, Maryland who need legal assistance for criminal defense or personal injury matters. Contact the Law Offices of Debra A. Saltz today to discuss your case.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

What Should I Do if I Receive a Grand Jury Subpoena in Maryland?

When you receive a subpoena, you may have a number of questions about your circumstances. However, when this is a…

Read More
What Trucking Regulations Should I Know About If I Was Injured by a Truck?

Though they are essential to the nation's economy as they transport goods across state lines, driving on the road next…

Read More
What Can I Do if I’m Falsely Accused of Domestic Violence?

It’s no secret that not all relationships will work out. While some end amicably, other breakups can be very tense.…

Read More

We Can Help

Contact Us for Your Initial Case Evaluation