Skip to content

People who are under the age of 18 are considered juveniles in the state of Maryland. When minors break the law, they are handled differently than adults who break the law. One of the major differences between committing a crime as a juvenile and a crime as an adult is that these situations are handled in juvenile court, not adult criminal court. As a result, the juvenile may be supervised by the Maryland Department of Juvenile Services.

Just like an adult who has broken the law, it is important for a juvenile to have an experienced defense attorney to represent them. Sometimes these cases are handled informally and never come to court. But if a juvenile is charged in court, it’s important to retain an attorney. Typically, the parents retain an attorney on behalf of their child but if they fail to do so, the child may be assigned a public defender. Once an arrest has been made, the court will hold an adjudication hearing. This typically takes place between 30 and 60 days after the juvenile has been arrested. Juveniles have all the same constitutional rights as adults, other than a right to a jury trial.

If a juvenile is found involved (guilty) after an adjudication hearing, a disposition will occur. At the disposition, the court will determine whether the child needs treatment, guidance, or detention. The child may have to pay restitution, be placed on probation, or even be taken into the care of the Department of Juvenile Services.

If your child has been charged or arrested in the state of Maryland, it is important that you obtain a knowledgeable and skilled defense attorney who can work hard to protect his or her future. We know how much is at stake and are ready to take on your child’s case, no matter how complex. Contact our firm today.

The Law Offices of Debra A. Saltz has decades of experience representing clients in Howard County, Maryland who have been charged with a crime. If you are facing criminal charges, let our firm explore all possible defenses and fight to protect your future. Contact the Law Offices of Debra A. Saltz today to discuss your case.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

What Should I Do if I Receive a Grand Jury Subpoena in Maryland?

When you receive a subpoena, you may have a number of questions about your circumstances. However, when this is a…

Read More
What Trucking Regulations Should I Know About If I Was Injured by a Truck?

Though they are essential to the nation's economy as they transport goods across state lines, driving on the road next…

Read More
What Can I Do if I’m Falsely Accused of Domestic Violence?

It’s no secret that not all relationships will work out. While some end amicably, other breakups can be very tense.…

Read More

We Can Help

Contact Us for Your Initial Case Evaluation