Skip to content

In the state of Maryland, many people rent apartments. When signing a lease of agreement, they trust the landlord will take care of the property so that it is safe. Usually, this is the case and there are few problems to be had with a landlord. However, there are cases in which landlords are negligent and fail to take care of the premises, thus leading to hazards that can cause an accident. If a resident of an apartment building becomes injured due to the negligence of a landlord, they can pursue legal action with the assistance of an experienced Maryland personal injury attorney.

What do I do After an Apartment Accident?

When an accident happens, such as an apartment accident, injured parties can pursue legal action for negligence. This can be done by filing a personal injury claim in which they are required to prove their landlord engaged in behavior that directly caused the accident and their injuries. This may be possible with evidence that shows the landlord knew, or should have reasonably known, about the hazard on the property and failed to fix it. Evidence that can be used in court can include medical documentation of the injuries, pictures or videos of the hazard, witness testimony, and more. 

How Long do I Have to File a Claim?

Those injured in apartment accidents must not wait too long to pursue legal action if they wish to do so. This is because there is a deadline in place that they are required to meet when filing a personal injury claim, known as the statute of limitations. If they miss this deadline, they may lose their right to legal action and the opportunity to recover compensation for any damages. In Maryland, the statute of limitations for personal injury cases is, generally, three years from the date of the injury. 

Contact our Firm

The Law Offices of Debra A. Saltz has decades of experience representing clients in Howard County and Anne Arundel County, Maryland who have been seriously injured as a result of someone else’s negligence. Let our firm explore all possible methods of recovering the compensation to which you are entitled. Contact the Law Offices of Debra A. Saltz today to discuss your case.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

What Should I Do if I Receive a Grand Jury Subpoena in Maryland?

When you receive a subpoena, you may have a number of questions about your circumstances. However, when this is a…

Read More
What Trucking Regulations Should I Know About If I Was Injured by a Truck?

Though they are essential to the nation's economy as they transport goods across state lines, driving on the road next…

Read More
What Can I Do if I’m Falsely Accused of Domestic Violence?

It’s no secret that not all relationships will work out. While some end amicably, other breakups can be very tense.…

Read More

We Can Help

Contact Us for Your Initial Case Evaluation