Skip to content

Everybody knows that it is illegal and dangerous to operate a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol. Unfortunately, many people make the poor choice of doing so and seriously injure others as a result. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced Maryland personal injury attorney to learn more about drunk driving accidents and how we can help if you’ve been hurt in one. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What should I do if I’m involved in an accident with a drunk driver?

If you are harmed in an accident caused by a drunk driver, you should take several steps to ensure your safety and document the incident. If you can, you should do the following:

  1. Call the police to the scene of the accident. They will ensure you receive immediate medical treatment and de-escalate the situation if need be. Additionally, if they suspect that the other driver was driving while under the influence of alcohol, they will most likely breathalyze them, which we can use to help prove that you were injured because of the other driver’s negligence in a personal injury claim.
  2. Ask anyone who witnessed your accident for their name, phone number, and email address, as they may corroborate your claim at a later date.
  3. Take pictures of the accident and any damage it caused, including your injuries.
  4. Once you’re treated in a hospital, ask for a copy of all medical documentation/bills pertaining to your injuries.
  5. Retain the services of a seasoned Annapolis auto accident lawyer who can help fight for the compensation you need to heal.

Does Maryland have a dram shop law?

Many states have dram shop laws in place that allow those injured in accidents by drunk drivers to sue both the driver and the establishment that served the driver (such as a bar or restaurant) in certain cases. That said, Maryland is one of the few states that does not have a dram shop law in place, which is why it is paramount that you retain the services of a competent Maryland personal injury attorney who can work to recover the maximum compensation from the driver on your behalf. Ensure you bring your claim to our attention within three years of the date your accident occurred, in accordance with the state’s statute of limitations. Waiting longer than three years will result in you losing your right to sue.

Contact our experienced Maryland firm

The Law Offices of Debra A. Saltz has decades of experience representing clients in Anne Arundel County and Howard County, Maryland who need legal assistance for criminal defense or personal injury matters. Contact the Law Offices of Debra A. Saltz today to discuss your case.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

What Should I Do if I Receive a Grand Jury Subpoena in Maryland?

When you receive a subpoena, you may have a number of questions about your circumstances. However, when this is a…

Read More
What Trucking Regulations Should I Know About If I Was Injured by a Truck?

Though they are essential to the nation's economy as they transport goods across state lines, driving on the road next…

Read More
What Can I Do if I’m Falsely Accused of Domestic Violence?

It’s no secret that not all relationships will work out. While some end amicably, other breakups can be very tense.…

Read More

We Can Help

Contact Us for Your Initial Case Evaluation