Prostitution Attorney in Ellicott City, Maryland
Prostitution is considered a very serious sex crime in the state of Maryland. There are a number of different crimes that fall under the category of prostitution, including operating a house of prostitution, human trafficking, receiving the earnings of a prostitute, and more. If you have been charged with any of these crimes, you may face serious consequences including 25 years on the sex offender registry, jail time, and more. For strong legal representation after a prostitution charge, contact the Law Office of Debra A. Saltz today.
There are a number of crimes that are considered prostitution in Maryland. These include:
- Human trafficking, which can result in up to 10 years in prison or a fine of up to $5,000
- Operating a house of prostitution, which can result in up to 1 year in jail and a $500 fine
- Knowingly engaging in prostitution, which can result in up to 1 year in jail and a $500 fine
- Receiving the earnings of a prostitute, which can result in up to 10 years in prison and a $10,000 fine
- The sale of a minor, which can result in a maximum of 5 years in prison and a maximum fine of $10,000
- Abducting a child under 16 for prostitution, which can result in up to 25 years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000
Sex Offender Registry
Maryland’s sex offender registry is a three-tier system that determines how long a person must be registered depending on their sex crime. There is a real possibility that you could be put on the Registry if you are found guilty of some of these offenses. Prostitution crimes vary among tiers. The breakdown includes:
- Tier I: Anyone who has committed a Tier I crime will be required to be on the Sex Offender Registry for 15 years. Crimes that fall into Tier I include sex offenses in the fourth degree, possession of child pornography, sex trafficking by force, fraud or coercion, sexual internet crimes, and visual surveillance for sexual interest.
- Tier II: Anyone who has committed a Tier II crime will be subject to 25 years on the Maryland Sex Offender Registry. Tier II crimes include the distribution of child pornography, hiring a minor for prostitution, abduction of a minor for prostitution, operating a house of prostitution, human trafficking, sexual solicitation of a minor, among others.
- Tier III: Those who have committed a Tier III crime, which is the most serious tier, will be on the Sex Offender Registry for life. Some of these crimes include felonies, such as rape, kidnapping, attempted rape, sexual assault, the sale of a minor, incest, and more.
Contact the Law Offices of Debra A. Saltz
If you are facing charges for prostitution or another type of sex crime, it is critical that you contact the experienced legal team at the Law Offices of Debra A. Saltz as soon as possible. We recognize the impact of a criminal record has on one’s future and we will do everything to help relieve you of that burden. When you meet with us, we will be ready to hear your side of the story and develop a comprehensive criminal defense strategy. We are aggressive in our representation and it shows. With so much of your future at risk, you need an attorney that is dedicated to fighting for your future. Contact the Law Offices of Debra A. Saltz today.