Skip to content

In your role as a parent, you have no greater responsibility than to keep your child out of harm’s way. It is an unfortunate reality that this is not always possible. You will most likely be seeking financial compensation to help your child heal if they have recently sustained an injury due to another party’s negligence. For more information on whether you can file a lawsuit on behalf of your minor child, please continue reading, then contact an experienced Maryland personal injury lawyer today. Our firm can help you and your child navigate each step of the claims process ahead. Here are some questions you may have:

My child was injured in an accident in Maryland – what should I do?

Should your child be injured in an accident, you should take several steps to document the incident, including the following:

  • Call the police: The police will respond to the scene, document the incident, and send an ambulance to the scene of the accident if one is needed.
  • Notify property owners and/or acquire insurance information: Ensure you ask the other driver for his or her insurance information if your child was injured in an auto accident. Likewise, notify the property owner of the accident if your child was injured on someone else’s property.
  • Take pictures of the scene of the accident: You want to document the property damage, or unsafe conditions for future reference.
  • Obtain witnesses’ contact information: Ask anyone who witnessed the accident for their name, phone number, and email address so they can corroborate your claim later.
  • Ensure your child receives timely medical treatment: In addition to ensuring that your child’s injuries are treated, treatment provides further documentation and proof that your child’s injuries were, in fact, significant.
  • Retain legal representation: A skilled personal injury lawyer will help you gather and present all additional information needed to satisfy the burden of proof.

My child was wrongly injured in an accident – can I file a lawsuit on his or her behalf in Maryland?

Thankfully, the state of Maryland allows a parent to file a personal injury lawsuit on behalf of his or her child. These personal injury claims are comprised of two parts: economic and non-economic damages. In essence, economic damages concern the tangible damage associated with the cost of an injury, including the cost of medical bills, in-home care, physical therapy and more. Conversely, non-economic damages concern the equally, if intangible damages associated with an injury, including the loss of enjoyment of life, disfigurement, pain and suffering and more.

Does Maryland have a statute of limitations for personal injury cases involving children?

Under most circumstances in Maryland, you have three years from the date of the underlying accident to file a personal injury claim. However, with a minor, you may, under certain circumstances, have until the child’s twenty-first birthday to make a claim.

Our firm is here to help obtain the compensation your child deserves and needs to recover from this unfortunate incident.

Contact our Howard and Anne Arundel County Firm

If you have been charged with a crime or injured by another party’s negligence, contact the Law Offices of Debra A. Saltz today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

What Should I Do if I Receive a Grand Jury Subpoena in Maryland?

When you receive a subpoena, you may have a number of questions about your circumstances. However, when this is a…

Read More
What Trucking Regulations Should I Know About If I Was Injured by a Truck?

Though they are essential to the nation's economy as they transport goods across state lines, driving on the road next…

Read More
What Can I Do if I’m Falsely Accused of Domestic Violence?

It’s no secret that not all relationships will work out. While some end amicably, other breakups can be very tense.…

Read More

We Can Help

Contact Us for Your Initial Case Evaluation