Skip to content

Everyone knows that it is illegal and dangerous to operate a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. It is an unfortunate reality that many people make the poor choice of doing so and seriously injure others as a result. To learn more about receiving compensation after a drunk driving accident in Maryland and how we can help if you have been hurt in one, please continue reading and reach out to our experienced Auto accident lawyer today. Here are some questions you may have:

What should I do if I am injured in a drunk driving accident in Maryland?

You should take several steps to ensure your safety and document the incident if you are harmed in an accident caused by a drunk driver. You should take the following actions if you are able:

  1. Call the police to the scene of the accident. They will ensure you receive immediate medical treatment and de-escalate the situation if need be. Additionally, if they suspect that the other driver was driving while under the influence of alcohol, they will most likely perform sobriety testing, which we can use to help prove that you were injured because of the other driver’s negligence in a personal injury claim.
  2. Ask anyone who witnessed your accident for their name, phone number, and email address, as they may corroborate your claim at a later date.
  3. Take pictures of the accident scene, damage to the vehicles, and your injuries.
  4. Once you are treated in a hospital, ask for a copy of all medical documentation/bills pertaining to your injuries.
  5. Retain the services of a seasoned Personal injury lawyer who can help fight for the compensation you need.

Can I sue a bar or restaurant after a drunk driving accident in Maryland?

While many states have dram shop laws in place that allow those injured in drunk driving accidents to sue both the driver and the establishment that served the driver, i.e. a bar or restaurant, Maryland is one of the few states that does not have a dram shop law in place. Therefore, it is absolutely vital that you retain the services of a skilled personal injury attorney who can work to recover the maximum compensation from the driver on your behalf. In accordance with Maryland’s statute of limitations, you need to bring your claim within three years of the date your accident occurred. You will lose your right to sue if you wait longer than three years.

Contact our Howard and Anne Arundel County Firm

If you have been charged with a crime or injured by another party’s negligence, contact the Law Offices of Debra A. Saltz today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

How Can You Avoid Injuries in a Maryland Swimming Pool This Summer?

Many people are excited to open their pools to cool off now that summer is in full swing and hot…

Read More
What Do You Need To Know About Drug Possession Penalties in Maryland?

It should go without saying that for any person in Maryland to buy, possess, distribute, or sell drugs would constitute…

Read More
Can I Sue for a Drunk Driving Accident in Maryland?

Everyone knows that it is illegal and dangerous to operate a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or…

Read More

We Can Help

Contact Us for Your Initial Case Evaluation